• Home
  • |
  • About Us
  • |
  • Contact Us
  • |
  • Login
  • Subscribe

Australian PM flags stricter gun laws after Bondi Beach mass shooting

Sydney, Dec. 15 (UNI) Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese on Monday said his government would consider tightening gun laws, signaling a possible overhaul of Australia’s already strict firearms regulations following the deadly antisemitic terror attack at Sydney’s Bondi Beach.
Speaking to the media ahead of a National Cabinet meeting, Albanese said tougher gun control measures—including limits on the number of firearms that can be licensed to an individual and periodic reviews of gun licences, would be placed on the agenda.
“This afternoon, at four o’clock, I will put on the agenda of the National Cabinet tougher gun laws, including limits on the number of guns that can be owned or licensed by individuals, and a review of licences over a period of time,” Albanese said.
Emphasising the need for continuous oversight, the Prime Minister added, “People’s circumstances change. People can be radicalised over a period of time. Licences should not be in perpetuity.”
Albanese said the federal government would present a proposal aimed at strengthening monitoring mechanisms. “The Australian government will take to National Cabinet this afternoon a proposal to empower agencies to examine what can be done in this area,” he said, adding that the government was prepared to take “whatever action is necessary” to prevent similar attacks in the future.
Authorities in New South Wales (NSW) have confirmed that one of the two alleged attackers—a 50-year-old man who was fatally shot by police on Sunday night—held a firearms licence and legally owned six guns.
Later in the day, Albanese convened the National Cabinet in response to what he described as an act of terror and antisemitism. In a post on X, he said, “Today I convened National Cabinet to respond to the act of terror and antisemitism in Bondi last night. We stand with Jewish Australians and we stand against hatred and violence. Australia is stronger than those who try to divide us, and we will come through this together.”
The attack targeted members of the Jewish community who had gathered at Bondi Beach to mark Hanukkah celebrations. Authorities have declared the incident a terrorist attack.
According to the latest update from NSW Health, 27 people remain hospitalised across Sydney after sustaining injuries in the mass shooting. Investigators said the attack was carried out by a father-son duo. Police shot and killed the father at the scene, while the 24-year-old son is currently undergoing treatment in hospital.
Officials said the son, who was born in Australia, had previously been assessed by the domestic intelligence agency ASIO, which at the time found no indication that he posed a threat of engaging in violent activity. The father, who arrived in Australia in 1998, held a recreational hunting licence and was a member of a gun club.
NSW Premier Chris Minns has vowed an “overwhelming” response to the attack, as security remains heightened nationwide.
UNI PPP AAB